BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday 28 September 2010

Talking On A Tuesday

Today I'm chatting with author Jena Galifany. Welcome Jena.

Can you tell us about your latest release?

My upcoming September release from Red Rose Publishing is "Her Perfect Man". It is an historical dark romance, with a hint of paranormal. Anna Scott can see bits of the future, and knows that she will have the perfect life with the perfect man. Unfortunately, she can't see just who that perfect man is.

Where do you take your inspiration from?
This particular story was based on a short story I wrote out of anger at my ex-husband. Lol It gained a few fans that wanted me to expound on the original work. It took eighteen years for me to finally get it written so I truly hope it does well.

Most of the time I take inspiration from a song, or a phrase. Now and then, I've written, based on a person whose looks I happen to like. I see my stories as movies in my head before I write them most of the time.

Do you like to work with music playing in the background? And if so, do you listen to a specific type to evoke certain moods?
I have made CDs with the particular songs that make me think about a particular story. I'm currently working on about 12 storylines, bits at a time. I will focus on one and run with it, while continuing to make notes on the others as the music provides.

What was it that gave you the final push to submit your first story? And how did you feel when your work was accepted?
The real push came from two friends at my day job. I was off work for a month with an injury and had a story rolling around in my head. I used the time to write it out. When I returned to work, they wanted to know what I did on my "vacation". I said I wrote a book. Not believing me, they wanted to read it. Once they did, they compelled me to continue the story and several months later, after I had two more books nearly completed in the series, they convinced me to publish.

I found Whiskey Creek Press through my reviewing site and liked their books. I send the first book to them and forgot about it, not expecting to hear anything about it. In two months, I had a contract and was dancing on the ceiling for around three days. I couldn't believe I was accepted on my first try. That was a blessing from God, I'm sure. The contract said any sequels should be submitted to them first. I had two more ready to go and sent them along. A month later, I had contracts for the first three books in the ShadowsForge series in hand. I was totally amazed.

Can you describe to us a typical day in your life as an author?
I wish I had a day as an author. My day begins at 4am when I get up and get ready for my day job at 5am. Throughout the day, I write in my head, and make notes on a notepad lying open on my desk while I process internet orders. I spend my two breaks reading books for reviews I write or for a publisher for acquisition.

Up until this week, I'd get off work at 1:30pm and head home where I'd work a little as editor for a review site, write a report for the publisher, and read emails. Now and then, I'd get some time to write what I'd thought about at work and made notes on. I don't like to work on my stories unless I have a couple of hours to do so.

Beginning this week, when I get off of work, I'll be heading over to my used book store and work there for a couple of hours, until my mother comes in to relieve me to go home and turn into a wife around 5:30. It's a life long dream so I hope it is a success. I will be helping to promote ebooks through the store as well.

What is the best thing about being a writer?
Having the ability to take a story in any direction I want to. I love to travel with my characters. The Ethereal Edge tour with ShadowsForge took me all over the US and England, so to speak. Her Perfect Man took me back to 1910 in Southampton, England and Shyanne's Secret, coming soon from Whiskey Creek Press, took me to 1880 Oregon. It's the only way to travel.

What does your work space look like? Neat as a new pin? Or area of mass destruction?
Mass destruction pretty much says it all. LOL I have notes and projects and reference books all over. I have pictures for visual aids posted around the monitor as well.

Which, if any of your stories, has been the most emotionally difficult for you to write?
Probably Her Perfect Man as Anna Scott is somewhat based on me in my younger years. I actually learned a lot about myself and had to take a step back and apologize about some of the things I'd done. It was an emotional eye-opener for me.

Most authors that I've spoken with have at least one finished or nearly finished project that they've held onto for a number of years. Do you have any such work?
And if so, what has stopped you from submitting it?

The Ice Child. It was one of the first books I set out to write in the mid 1980s. It is a fantasy story based on an old Dungeons and Dragons ® quest that I made up myself and lead a group through as Dungeon Master (aka narrator for the game). It was fun and a lot of silly things happened during the game so I wrote it all down. I think I was always afraid to share it because, a) I was afraid of copyright issues. TSR was never very forgiving, and, b) it's too silly for adults but had a few moments that were not suited for children. I need to work on it when I get more time.

Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?
I have several works in the fire at any given time. My mind moves from one to another depending on the music I come into contact with or a situation that comes to mind. I try to focus on one, but it doesn't always work that way.

Which of your upcoming projects are you most excited about?
I'm excited to see what happens when Shyanne's Secret comes out. I was known for the ShadowsForge series, the 80's rock band ongoing tour. I want to know if I can write something besides the crazy guys in the band and if Cole and Shyanne will be as popular as Ty and Alexis Synclair were.

When not writing, how do you relax?
Relax? Lol, what is that? I love to read. I love to write book reviews. I love to garden but that has not happened much this year. I love to sew and crochet, but again, I've not had much time for that either. I do hold down a full time job as well.

How do your friends and family feel about your work and do you let any of them read your stories?
If I had not let a couple of friends read my work, I'd have never had the nerve to seek publication. I will forever be in debt to Joyce Anderlik and Brandi Milhon for pushing me to give it a try. My family, on the other hand are about half and half about reading my stories.

Has your life changed significantly since becoming a published writer?
Not a lot. I'm not quite making what Mr. King and Mr. Patterson make so not much change there. I do love it when someone asks about my writing and love it when I get to do interviews like this one. Thank you again, for allowing me to be part of this.

Where do you see yourself in three years time, as far as your writing is concerned?
I hope to have more time to do more writing. I'd like to have a few more books on the market and be better known. I think that each book I write is better than the last, but I still have much to learn.

If you weren't a writer, what else would you be doing?
Probably not very much. I've dreamed of being a writer for many, many years. Now that I can call myself a writer, I can't think of anything I'd even want to do instead. I'd probably just be reading and dreaming.

Which of your books would you love to see turned into a movie?
Shyanne's Secret would make a great movie. The ShadowsForge series would make an interesting television show, since it follows an entire year plus tour.

Can you let the readers know where to find you on the web?
Web site:
http://jenagalifany.bravehost.com
The ShadowsForge Series is at: http://whiskeycreekpress.com/authors/Jena_Galifany.shtml
I'm on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/jena.galifany
Thanks again for letting me share my life with you and thank you to everyone who has read my books. Without you, I'd be nothing!

0 comments: