BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday 21 September 2010

Talking On A Tuesday


Happy Tuesday everyone. Today I'm talking to best selling author A.M Wells.

Can you tell us about your latest release?

Susanna’s Heart is my first published work. The story is about a young woman, Susanna Moore, who decides it past time she took back control of her life after her sister’s betrayal. She leaves her home in Illinois and takes refuge in a cabin in the fictional North Georgia mountain town of Benton to heal her broken heart. There she encounters Noah Weber who literally knocks her off her feet.

Noah also knows the pain of heartache. He vowed to never involve his heart again in a relationship. However he finds himself instantly attracted to Susanna, which to his amazement is mutual.

The story’s basic premise is this—can two people who meet and fall in instant lust, let go of past hurts to find their happily ever after.

Also, I must give a big shout out and thank you to all the readers who have purchased the book so far and made it such a great success.

Where do you take your inspiration from?

From events, news headlines, family, friends, music, and everyday life. I’m always listening and taking notes in my head or jotting down ideas and dialogue.

Do you like to work with music playing in the background? And if so, do you listen to a specific type to evoke certain moods?

Yes. I find music is a great resource for kicking starting my writing time and maintaining the flow. In general, my music tastes run the gambit from classical, R&B, opera, Jazz, country, gospel, and Big Band. What I listen to depends on the scene and setting I’m striving to convey through words. Boney James is usually my go listen for love scene. Corrine Bailey Rae when it’s light and easy between h/h in the getting to know you stage. Classical is good listening when trying to convey tension or suspense on the page.

What was it that gave you the final push to submit your first story? And how did you feel when your work was accepted?

Encouragement from a friend and my daughter were what gave me that bit of confidence I needed to first put up a blog and post my writing. The positive feedback amazed me. This gave that extra shove to start submitting to publishers.

Can you describe to us a typical day in your life as an author?

Up at four, first prayer and meditation then writing for two hours before its off to the nine to five. Most weekends I’ll dedicate either the morning, afternoon, or sometimes all day to writing. It’s very important to me to make the time to write and stick with a schedule of sorts. Whether it is on the computer or handwritten in a tablet, I write.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

Getting that first contract offer, but even sweeter still was how well received Susanna’s Heart has been all thanks to the readers out there who purchased the book.

What does your work space look like? Neat as a new pin? Or area of mass destruction?

On most days I’d say somewhere in between. At the moment, I’m striving to be more organized and keep my workspace free of clutter. So far, it’s working out pretty well.


Which, if any of your stories, has been the most emotionally difficult for you to write?


I have a WIP that is the first story I ever sat down to actually write. It’s not a romance, but more a family saga with romantic elements. I started out writing a story about a young girl who stumbles into the arms of the boy of dreams who ultimately becomes the love of her life, but I found that the secondary characters wanted to have their say and story told also. I would not say that is story emotionally difficult to write, but it has been a challenge to give each of now three female leads a voice without overshadowing the others.



Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?

I multi-task, I’ll have two on three stories going at once, which makes it really hard to finish just one.

Which of your upcoming projects are you most excited about?

Venus Reveal for the simple fact that I’m this close to having a first draft ready, which in turn means I’ll be submitting to publishers.

When not writing, how do you relax?

Like most writer before I began writing I was and still am an avid reader. I like to spend what little down time I have reading. I also like to draw/sketch and I’m somewhat of armature photographer.

How do your friends and family feel about your work and do you let any of them read your stories?

I have let my twenty year old daughter read some of my writing. But when I finished the first draft of Susanna’s heart I was more comfortable having one of her friends read it which she naturally took offence to. Go figure.

Overall would say I’ve gotten great support from both my family and friends.

Has your life changed significantly since becoming a published writer?

Nope, I’m still working that day job. I’ve changed in that I am more self confident. I joined RWA, launched a website (www.amwells.net), and I’m even more determined now to complete and get more of my writing published.

Where do you see yourself in three years time, as far as your writing is concerned?

At the top of New York Times best seller list. Hey, it can happen.

If you weren't a writer, what else would you be doing?

I would focus on my art. Drawing and painting.

Which of your books would you love to see turned into a movie?

A story that is currently under consideration by Romance Magazine it’s entitled Time Out. I think it would make a cute Hallmark movie of the week. The story is about a couple in crises whose kids decide that rather than a divorce what the parents need is a time out. So they arrange for them to take a vacation.

Can you let the readers know where to find you on the web?


Sure, readers can visit my website, www.amwells.net or email me at am_wells@hotmail.com.

Susanna’s Heart is available from the following book sellers.
Red Rose Publishing
Amazon


1 comments:

F. D. Davis said...

Great interview A.M. I loved Susanna's Heart.