BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday 14 September 2010

Talking On A Tuesday

Today Iam talking to author Carol Preflatish.

Can you tell us about your latest release?


My latest release is called "Love, Lies & Deceit." Against regulations, rookie CIA officer Julie McBride and her training officer, Jason Reid fell in love. But, when Jason is arrested for treason, Julie has to decide whether she believes in him enough to risk her own career and life to help him prove his innocence. "Love, Lies & Deceit" is published by Red Rose Publishing and you can purchase it on their web site, or as a Kindle download from amazon.com.

Where do you take your inspiration from?

I take my inspiration from other published writers. I would love to be able to earn a living writing full time and as long as there are writers out there doing that, I know that someday it could be me.

Do you like to work with music playing in the background? And if so, do you listen to a specific type to evoke certain moods?

I do sometimes listen to my MP3 player when I write. I'm a classic rock person. I love listening to the Eagles, Boston, Queen, Steve Miller Band, and Aerosmith. I have a big variety of songs that I listen to. More times than not, I am writing with the television on. I have to have some sort of sound in the room when I write.

What was it that gave you the final push to submit your first story? And how did you feel when your work was accepted?

There was no push to it. I was anxious and excited to submit my first manuscript. Of course, that first one was rejected all over the place. My second manuscript was the one that finally sold. I can tell you, it was a wonderful feeling. My husband and I celebrated by having a special dinner that night.

Can you describe to us a typical day in your life as an author?

Since I have a full time non-writing day job, my typical weekday is doing that. I do try and write over my lunch hour when I can and in the evening I do a little marketing for my book. Mostly, I write on weekends while my husband is at work. Once I throw a load of laundry in the washer, I sit on the couch with my laptop and start writing. I take a few breaks to stretch and refill my iced tea glass and then it's back to the laptop until about three o'clock when I start making dinner. After dinner, I try to get a couple more hours of writing or research in before going to bed.

What does your work space look like? Neat as a new pin? Or area of mass destruction?

As I mentioned earlier, I write a lot on the couch. But, I do have a desk that I sit at sometimes. Normally, it's as neat as a pin, but right now if you could see a picture of it, you'd see it's piled high with magazines, folders, and papers. Obviously, I haven't worked there for a while.


Which, if any of your stories, has been the most emotionally difficult for you to write?

I supposed that would be the story I am just now finishing. I wrote it loosely based on an unsolved mystery that took place about fifty years ago near where I live. The mystery has always been interesting to me, which is why I used it. But, I also wanted it to be different enough so that was not a complete copy of it. In my story, I do solved who did it.

Most authors that I've spoken with have at least one finished or nearly finished project that they've held onto for a number of years. Do you have any such work?
And if so, what has stopped you from submitting it?


Of course, I have one of those, too. It's the very first manuscript that I wrote, the one that was rejected by everyone. Now when I look at it, I can see how terrible my writing was then. But, I love the plot and storyline so much. I really want to try and get it published someday. What is stopping me now is not having enough time to work on it. I started editing it a few months ago, but realized it's probably going to take a full rewrite to get it where I want it. Someday, maybe not until I retire from my day job, I might just get it finished.

Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?

Mostly, I work on just one project at a time, but I do keep a journal with me to jot down ideas for future books. When I get close to finishing a manuscript, I sometimes start working on another to get a good start on it.

Which of your upcoming projects are you most excited about?

I actually have two of them. I'm really excited about the project I am just finishing and am looking forward to pitching it to some publishers. I also have a manuscript that I started last year and am anxious to get started on it. It's the first one that I have worked on that isn't a romantic suspense, but a romantic contemporary novel instead.

When not writing, how do you relax?

I love watching old movies and television shows. I also love camping and photography.


How do your friends and family feel about your work and do you let any of them read your stories?


My friends and family have been very supportive of my writing. My husband, who was a counter-intelligence agent in the Army, was my technical advisor for "Love, Lies & Deceit." He's not read it, but his help was invaluable.

Has your life changed significantly since becoming a published writer?

I don't think it's changed much. Maybe after I get another book or two under my belt, it might be different. But, unless I make it to the Best Sellers List, I don't look for my life to change much.

Where do you see yourself in three years time, as far as your writing is concerned?

I hope to have a couple more books published and be a more recognized name as an author.

If you weren't a writer, what else would you be doing?

My full time job is in social services, so I would guess that I would still be doing that. Although, I would love to work as a freelance photographer.

Which of your books would you love to see turned into a movie?

I would love to see my first unpublished novel make it as a movie, but I am going to have to get back to work on it for that to ever happen.

Can you let the readers know where to find you on the web?
You can find more about me at my web site, my blog, or on my twitter page.
http://CarolPre.webs.com
http://CarolPre.blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/cpreflatish

Thank you so much for having me here today. I have enjoyed it.

4 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

Wonderful interview Carol! I'm sooooooo glad you kept submitting your work and were finally contracted!

Carly Carson said...

Good interview! I'm jealous you have an Army husband to help you with the details. I guess he doesn't read romances though, huh? Good luck with your story.

Liz Flaherty said...

Great interview. Nothing like having a built-in expert!

Carol Preflatish said...

I'm not sure I would let him read my books even if he wanted to. LOL