BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday 23 July 2009

Trying to Enjoy the Summer

It's a beautiful day today and about time too, I'd say. We've had quite enough rain of late. So, I thought I'd do a spot of washing, you know, let things dry in the morning sunshine, let the breeze shake the cobwebs from my living room rug. I've worked hard all morning. I've eventually managed to prize the laptop out of the hands of one of my offspring and now it's time to write.

What better way to spend my late afternoon, than sat in the garden, my laptop to hand and a refreshing glass of wine on the patio table? You'd think it was the perfect setting. You'd be wrong. Inches from my feet, my furry killing machine (the cat) is attacking a mouse. Clearly he doesn't want to eat it just yet. He likes to let it run a little before picking it up and batting it from paw to paw. Now he is batting it beneath the patio table. My feet, furry pink slippers and all, are now raised uncomfortably in the air. I have a sneaking suspicion that the mouse may seek refuge in them.

The children, who I had managed to escape from, are now with me. There is much entertainment to be gained from watching the cat with the mouse. I try to continue with my writing. However, it seems that my glass of wine has now attracted the attention of a local wasp. I run for cover, whilst the children's and the cat's attention is now firmly fixed on the squeeling woman. My eldest son takes the laptop into the house, whilst I try to chase the wasp away with a red velvet cushion. No such luck.....he is drowning in my wine.

I am now safely in the house, the cat has finished with his latest victim and now seems to be searching for another. The children, as usual at this time of day are searching for a snack. And I am contemplating giving the garden another go.

0 comments: