BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday 26 July 2009

Here Come the Girls

My Grandma loves reading Hello and as soon as she had finished with her magazines, she passes them along to me. (What a kind Grandma she is, to indulge my yearning for celebrity gossip.) Anyway, we had a long car journey yesterday, so I took some of my magazines with me. I was reading about various Queens and First Ladies, women who are out there doing good for various charities and generally giving women a good press. I can't help but think that it's a thankful respite after all the negative press that women have been getting recently.

In England especially, there has been a Ladette culture, which involves young women refusing to behave like young women at all and instead, opting to behave like young men. Drinking to excess and sleeping around are mainly involved in this culture, which gives other young women a very bad press indeed.

A recent series on British T.V was entitled Mistresses and seemed to show women, not only involving themselves with other women's husbands and partners, but their friends partners too. Now if you can't trust your friends, who can you trust? Good T.V or more bad press for women?

With Madonna seemingly buying herself a new child and SJP paying for a surrogate, are modern mothers getting good or bad press? Is money really the answer when it comes to maternal problems? Is this progress or it simply showing us what wealthy women can accomplish ? I couldn't help but feel a little sad when I heard that after so recently adding to her family, SJP would be starting filming again on August 2nd.

Well, we can't change the world, (although I know that many women did). All we can do is change our little corner of it. We can only reinforce the positive attitudes that we have and we can only hope that other women are doing the same.

0 comments: